Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Adventures Continue

The horrid store that whipped across Manhattan last night blew right over the pool where I was. It came in quite rapidly, with tents flying over head and truss swinging crazily. The show got called early, to boos from the crowd. Until they saw the tents blowing away. They ran then. The first 20 minutes where crazy... wind blowing dust and sand everywhere, rain coming down at 45 degree angles, boxes getting pushed this way and that way as lights and backline and sound equipment got tossed in them in the vainest attempts to keep them dry. Things slowed down after that, but it made a very long day even longer.

There had been many issues with the load in. Things moved slowly, which lead to the management being displeased. At which point, my crew chief stated bitching about managements complaints... yet from where I stood, it did look like he could have done more to get ahead quicker. But, I can't say anything. And then there were issues with control of the lights, which I attempted to fix, but while attempting to fix it I was being yelled at for not having it working. It was painful (on top of the physical pain I was in from having slept wrong and pinching a nerve). The issue continued after lunch as well. I had the steward approach me after the day was drawing to a close and complement me on how well I handled myself and kept my composure through the ordeal. He remarked on my strength on dealing with, as he put it, an "asshole".

The other issue of the day was that my phone decided it didn't want to work any longer. It started when I tried to place a call but I could never hear the person on the other end. I solved that problem with speakerphone. But alas the ringer was stuck on loud. I changed that to vibrated, which was great, but then the screen decided it wanted to die. So I can now make three phone calls, to my voicemail, to D and to mom and dad, and only because these numbers are programmed into my speed dial feature. And I know which button activates my speaker phone after I dial.

The first stop of my day was going to be the AT&T store here in Philly. But alas, we lost our day off because of the storm yesterday. So, I am stuck on a bus for another hour, then have a couple of hours of work, with hopes and prayers that work is done early as the store closes at 7, and my next day off is 5 days away. I can't wait that long to get my phone replaced.

And now for the GOOD news. I have my next gig. I will be traveling the US with Neil Diamond, starting in mid July. I am going to be part of the catering team, helping to set up the dining room. I am excited to be heading back out again, and its great as it runs through December, which means job security and a paycheck til then. Which is a huge bonus.

I'll be coming soon to a town near you... well, most likely...

1 comment:

km said...

You'll be in LA for a much longer stretch. We'll have to talk about that.