Sunday, June 1, 2008

I look like a traffic cone

Its been a crazy few days on the road.

Red Rocks was fabulous. It was stunningly beautiful. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the picture I wanted to do the place justice. But here are a few shots.




The place was amazing. The stagehands knew what they were doing and were great to work with. I had some downtime in the afternoon so I had the chance to walk around and take some amazing photos. I climbed the 100+ stairs to the top of the amphitheater twice. And to see all the people that were there made me realize why I do this job. I love to hear the roar of the crowd when the band comes on stage. Cause they couldn't be on stage if it weren't for me.

After Red Rocks, we packed up and headed for Kansas City, MO. Not a bad ride, as I slept for most of it. I got the chance to explore a bit, and went to the Plaza area. I picked up a pair of cheap sunglasses to replace the pair I left in NYC. I had some fabulous BBQ for which KC is pretty famous for. And I got a mini facial at the Origins Store. The girl freaked when she found out who I was working for and offered up her store discount for tickets. I was able to accommodate her, and got some great products for great prices. Sometimes, the perks are great.

From there we traveled onto Columbia, MO. I wish I had pictures so you could see the difference in size of stages that we are dealing with. The stage in Columbia was tiny. We hung 6 of our 50 lights. As that was all the roof could hold. And put a few more on the floor. The load in was easy. And fairly painless. Until about mid afternoon, and a midwestern thunderstorm cropped up. Including downpours. Things got flooded. The rain came down for a good while. We threw tarps over almost everything, but it didn't quite save everything from the water. We lost one of our lighting boards, as well as 10 different lights to water issues. At one point there was 6 inches of water coursing down the gutter. The gutter that our power (400 amps worth of it) was running through. The show went on, a bit late, and with only some of the right stuff.

I was also able to find a great deal on recycled sari silk, woven into yarn. The woman was selling 100 gram skeins for $5. So I bought 9. Ooops. Ah well, I couldn't refuse a great deal. Not sure what I'll make with it. Maybe a clapotis for my mother.

Today we are in Minneapolis. I had some time to wander around. And had meals at outdoor cafes. This city is very mellow, but there are some great restaurants to choose from. Its been a good day. I'm a bit tired, and slightly buzzed from the glass of wine with dinner. I did get to see the Sex and the City movie. Which was great. It made me cry and miss my girlfriends back in NYC. But also, so thankful that I do have such great friends in my life, both in NYC and out in the world.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

We missed you at the wedding! Jen looked beautiful. I'll send you pictures soon.

kasiaiscarly said...

i've always heard amazing things about red rock. . .looks awesome!

Dame Wendy said...

Red Rocks looks like it's beautiful!