Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Another day in my life...

Ok, I'm going to start off with the tag that KM sent me last week. And then, more updates on life... From Boulder, CO.

...rules of the game get posted at the beginning. Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

1) What was I doing 10 years ago?Hmmm... it was 1998. I was finishing up my sophomore year of college. I had finally gotten to make out with the boy I had crushed on for the entire year - he moved to Boulder, CO a few weeks later, and I only heard from him once or twice. Wouldn't it have been funny if I ran into him today? Wonder if I'd still recognize him?

2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order):
hmm... well, the day is over... but on the list were...
Send Jen a sympathy card for the lose of her granddad
Get a hook for my work id
Explore a bit of Boulder, including the yarn store (more on that in a sec)
Organize my suitcase a bit more
Knit a bit - either cast on sock number two or get more of the clapotis done

3) Snacks I enjoy: chips and salsa or guacamole, chocolate covered pretzels, carrots dipped in peanut butter, cashews

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire: Buy a house, pay my parents back the money they loaned me, travel across Europe and Asia, pay off my credit cards, buy myself the Georg Jensen ring I want

5) Places I have lived: Norton and Worcester, MA, Arlington, VA, Las Vegas, NV, New York City, tour busses and hotel rooms (aka my suitcase)

6) Jobs I have had: Babysitting, short order cook, bartender, scene shop manager, accounts payable assistant, AmeriCorps Promise Fellow, teacher, Project Associate, Sales Associate (retail), stagehand, lighting technician, personal assistant, administrative assistant

And I'm skipping number 7. I love being tagged, but not much for being a tagger.

And now on to the past few days of life. It rained yesterday. I played with electricity in the rain. We were on a portable stage, which was tiny and the roof comes in and out to rig the points. Which was ok, except for having to rig the audio points, while the audio boys were still on a bus in the middle of no where trying to get to the Lehi, UT. We had all sorts of weather, from rain, the overcast cloudy, to hail, to sun. It was a long day, to say the least. Dealing with my crew chief continues to frustrate me... and even frustrated the local crew, as they voiced their displeasure with his working style. And several of them were like I don't know how you do it working with him. The way he talks to you is ridiculous. I attempted to speak to him after the load in was done to discuss setting up a plan of action as to what were my responsibilities on a given day, verses what are his. But he dismissed the idea. I feel like at times he thinks the entire thing is his responsibility, and I'm not even there, but then at others, he demands me to do things that he could easily do himself. I wish he were easier to work with, cause I think I'm pretty easy going and pleasant.

Today I spent in Boulder, alas there was nothing cool to take pictures of to share. I wandered to a great yarn store. The biggest one I have ever been in. They had all sorts of spindles and spinning wheels. And more yarn than I've ever seen in one place. I bought three different yarns for making more of my souvenir socks. They all just spoke to me. One is called Happy Feet, which was my nickname last summer on tour, so I had to have that one. And another is from here in Colorado. So, again, had to have it. I also wandered around Pearl Street, which was great. Lots of shops that sell local art. I picked up this great glass ring for myself. And then I had a great dinner of shrimp and crab dip with fried plantains.

The only bad part of the day was the call I got from the big boss in Chicago. Apparently, the crew chief voiced some complaints about me. I was on the bus briefly during show last night - and this got relayed back to the big boss. Rather than come to me and say something about it, he took it to a level that was out of proportion for the fault. Apparently he was afraid I would argue the point with him. Yes, I may argue a point when I see that there may be a better, easier, more understandable way of doing something, but I won't argue a point when I know I am in the wrong. And especially when in previous conversation he had alluded to be ok with people being on the bus during a show. I tried to express a bit of my issues, but I felt as though the boss did not want to listen to what I had to say. Once again, I say, its going to be a long month. I have to suck it up and just accept his attitude, his yelling at me and the crew and the rest of it, it seems. Doesn't seem fair, does it? The boss did tell me he knew I was working hard and doing a good job with the work. So I guess that is the silver lining.

And now I think I'll pull out my yarn and look at my new purchases. And make a few more rows on the clapotis.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

you boss guy sounds awful. What's wrong with being on the bus if he said you could be on the bus? bastard!

I'm happy to see that my sock yarn stashing is rubbing off on you! I'm trying to work through as many pairs as I can before we head out to San Fran on June 18th so I can buy vacation yarn. You have to see the new sheep socks. I'm done with the first one, I just need to seam up the toe and do a little finishing. I'll post it soon so you can adore it. It's really cute!!!!

Alyssa said...

haha I just realized how many grammatical mistakes I have in the above...I should proof read.