Wednesday, May 14, 2008

In the middle of a cornfield...

... in the middle of Illinois is where you will find me. I can see two from my hotel room window. Its odd being out in the country after NYC. And its really odd to be driving again. (but i did rent the cute yellow car)

So far work has been easy. I spent all day labeling things up. That is about as far as we have gotten on the work portion of our week. Which is a bit frustrating. Hopefully tomorrow we'll make some real headway. What we have is really simple, but taping and labeling always takes longer than you'd like it to. And I don't think my crew chief realizes the looming he is in for once we get started. He's new to the company, and we have a very specific manner of doing things, to which I get to introduce him. He is an interesting person. There is much name dropping that he does. But, as I don't know the names, it just sounds ridiculous to me. And he likes to talk for the sake of talking it seems. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the crew at the end of next week, and having others to absorb the brunt of the personality.

My travel was uneventful. I made it to the first drop on my clapotis. So exciting. I worked a bit on the socks too, but it was just too tedious for the plane. I still haven't figured out the best way to hold the needles comfortably, which makes it really slow going. Plus the stitches don't slide as smoothly on the wooden needles. I'm trying to be conscious about not knitting too tightly, but I don't think I really know how to do that. Plus, I'm hating the ribbing part. I keep messing up on it. But I'm too lazy to go back and rework it. Perhaps I should though.

And I've just found out my hotel doesn't carry Bravo. Which means no Top Chef for me tonight. :( Sad The time zone change is also messing me up. Central Time runs their tv shows at different times... the 8 pm shows are on at 7, and so on. Its confusing me.

3 comments:

km said...

I hate the name dropping thing too. Last summer when a friend was driving back to IN for college, she documented the trip with photos on her Myspace...so I know what those cornfields look like. I can't say I envy you, like I would have traded places to see NYC.

The clapotis is so fun. I let each run drop all the way down as I came to it. It was a great reward/motivator. I still need to get photos of mine...maybe this weekend.

I really have loosened up on my socks since my first one in November. That sock was so tight I never made the 2nd sock. I got new needles for Hanukkah and the magic loop has made all the difference for me. I hated the ribbing so much on those first socks that I learned to do the hemmed picot edge just to avoid the K2 P2...is that sad or what?!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I hope that whatever it is you're literally in a field for is at least fun... I think this has to do with a previous job maybe?? I admit to being a bit confused and really curious!

I too hate the name dropping thing with a passion... and while I acknowledge that sometimes it's all who you know.. but once you have the job.. it doesn't make anyone happy if you're name dropping..

Good luck with the socks, and.. oooh the drops on the clapotis, I had so much fun with that!

JL said...

Hi Sarah- It is I your cocoa swap partner. Wandering around the midwest I see. Hope you have fun in those timezones! Jan