Monday, May 19, 2008

The truck is rolling

Prep is officially over. The truck is rolling its way towards Oregon. It was a long day. And things shouldn't have taken as long as they did. The truck had to be packed twice. Not all the boxes are marked as I'd like to see them marked - but I knew that was happening from the beginning. The boxes could be quite messy when we get off on the other end, as I have no idea what got flipped up off the wheels. But, the trucks are rolling and we'll see what happens in Oregon come Saturday morning.

There was a bit of stress this morning. Things came to a head a bit with the crew chief, and one of the higher ups with the company stepped in and talked to us both separately. It should work out in the end. He wants to see us both happy and able to get the job done. Which is what I want too. I stayed calm and just went with the flow for most of the day. There were only a couple of points I argued, and in a way that was like just look at this issue from my perspective too not in a your way is wrong manner. The one point that irked me to no end was his constant saying of trust me, trust me. I'm sorry, but I don't know you, and things you are doing don't quite make sense to me, so trusting you isn't going to really happen right now.

Due to the double packing of the truck, I didn't get to visit with my friend who arrived in the city today. And his day is long and obnoxious tomorrow, so it looks like we won't get to see each other this time around. Which makes me sad. We were going to get together last week, as he was going to treat me to the beach in Miami, but that fell through as I had to be in a cornfield. If the weather is decent, I may drive into Chicago tomorrow and spend some time wandering around and try to meet him for lunch or dinner. But it seems like we'll be once again putting off a get together. The crazy life that we lead when you work in an industry that never stops, and constantly sends you off to different corners of the globe. Maybe I'll get to have vacation after the tour. But I'm not counting on it.

So thats about it tonight. Tomorrow is a day off before flying out on Wednesday. If the weather is nice, perhaps I'll hit chicago. If not, I'll be here and bonding with the clapotis.

5 comments:

km said...

That is so frustrating. I don't know if it's the case here, but I HATED when I worked with/for men that just couldn't get it. A woman might know more about this that he did. Some are great...it's just the ones that get under your skin.

At least your Clapotis is fun.

Alyssa said...

Men are a pain in the ass sometimes.

Code Purl said...

If someone has to tell you to trust them then you probably shouldn't!

Leah said...

Oh, I totally agree with code purl, LOL. But it sounds like you're one strong lady, and it'll work out because of that. I'm really enjoying following this adventure!

km said...

I just tagged you...check my blog. I hope today is a good one for you.