Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Cooking (and trama)

One of the things I most look forward to at Christmas time is all the cooking I get to do. Today started my kitchen adventures. I made thumbprint cookies and ginger kringles. I made chinese pork dumplings. Then I made dinner of lemon chicken and manchego risotto. And then I finished up the evening with my first batch of homemade pasta, which I turned into raviolis. Tomorrow brings cheesecake and pasta sauce, and then the big day of Christmas will be the beef tenderloin roast with sides (preceeded by the raviolis and an antipasto and followed by the cheesecake). It has been a busy day.

It has also been a bit tramatizing of a week. In my attempts to get my shopping done yesterday, I was in a car accident. I walked away, but my car limped (well, it was towed). I'm waiting to hear about how bad the damage is, hopefully I'll just have to pay the deductible and she'll be fixed when I get home from tour. I was pulling out of a parking lot, and due to the driving skills of an old lady, I didn't see the young girl coming along much too quickly on her inside and pulled out. Had the girl swerved the other way, I'd like to think she wouldn't have hit me at all, but instead she swerved into the direction I was heading, and hit my drivers front tire and door with quite a bit of force. I could barely exit my car, and certainly couldn't get back in. And her car had no visible damage at all. So, I am now at the mercy of my parents chauffering me around utnil I get my car back, as I didn't get rental coverage on my insurance policy.

All my shopping is now done though, and the only thing that remains is to wrap things up. We'll celebrate Hanukah on Christmas Eve and exchange presents then. And Christmas morning will bring bundles of things under the tree. And my tasty meal! (cross your fingers my ravioli don't explode when they go into the boiling water....)

3 comments:

Leah said...

Your menu sounds absolutely delicious!

I'm very sorry about your car accident, though. My own car seems like it's on its last legs and is sitting reproachfully on my Brooklyn street...ugh...

But Happy holidays to you! And enjoy the food after all your hard work!

km said...

Yum! I want to come for dinner. I've been busy too, but not so fancy. I made applesauce today, and potato soup for lunch, and chicken kisses for dinner. I've making Swedish meatballs for dinner tomorrow, and a cheesecake or two. If there's only time for one, then caramel pecan. If 2, then also a roasted sweet potato cheesecake. That should be good. The recipe won someone $50,000. Also, Christmas cookies and peppermint bark. Apple French toast, and a Breakfast pizza (hashbrown crust, egg, cheese, ham, onions, and bell peppers). I sure do hope you end up in culinary school someday. I'd love to learn from your blog. I'm sure as my kids grow their tastes will expand.

And sorry about the crash. I hope your car is fixed soon.

And I can't wait to hear what Crash thinks of his scarf.

And...If I'm in the kitchen too much in the next few days and don't get back to say....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Have a wonderful holiday. (((HUGS))))

Code Purl said...

So sorry about your accident. Hope you're physically ok and not too shooken up.

I had my friend Nichole over for dinner tonight...the one that went to culinary school and is always traveling around. Julian made pumpkin soup with pepitas, potato latkes, maple pecan chicken, and honey glazed carrots. He finished it off with a molten lava cake. I'm in a sugar coma as I write.

We taught my friend a lot about Judaism and Hanukah. I gave her the neckwarmer I had made with yarn she sent me from Wisconsin. She's in love. And she got to meet our new little kitty.

Enjoy your time at home. Hope to see you soon.