Saturday, December 20, 2008

This crazy life I lead...

I am finally home for my Christmas break. It was quite the travel day, starting with my departure from the hotel in Salt Lake City at 5:20 AM. I've never seen security lines like the ones I waited in at 6 am this morning. And the first flight went uneventfully, even getting me to Detroit early. But my arrival there left me with the knowledge that my flight onto Boston had been cancelled. After talking to a couple of gate agents, I was on standby for the flight at 3:20 and confirmed for a flight at 7 pm. I was getting ready to settle in with my knitting and perhaps accomplish the finishing of the scarf (the sweater needs much work, as I had to frog it and start over due to the extra stitches... the lace pattern just wasn't working out right and as hard as I tried I just couldn't get that many stitches back on the needles after ripping back.). But I was soon paged back to the gate where I was told there were so many of us trying to get to Boston, they had established a new flight and brought in a new plane. It was an international plane, so lots of room, and off we went to Boston, only an hour and half behind schedule. Had it not been for the ninety minutes I stood at the luggage carousel waiting for my bags, it would have just been an exhausting day. But that turned it into an exhausting and frustrating day.

I'm home safe though, in the winter wonderland of Massachusetts. Its been snowing for two days now, and promises to continue on tomorrow. Its been quite a few years since I had a white christmas, so I am looking forward to it. I'm planning nights of sitting by the tree with my yarn and some hot chocolate. And lots of thinking on what comes next in life. I'm thinking of looking into culinary schooling. And moving to Chicago. There are a couple of programs that I am interested in learning more about and seeing if they will work for me. The pastry chef on my tour is planning on purchasing a home, and has offered me a sublet on her apartment if her offer goes through, and its right in my price range. Its only about a 30 minute ride from Crash, and only a little over an hour from Upstaging if I were to get work doing lighting things. So, much thought must be given to that over the next few days.

Also there is much cooking to do. I'm attempting my first homemade pasta this Christmas. And completely bogarting my families meal. My brother might have a coronary, but change is good. I'm planning roasted beef tenderloin and crab stuffed shrimp, roasted green beans, and some form of starch. And hopefully dad will make some homemade bread. I'm slightly daunted by also excited about it.

My computer is off to Apple tomorrow to see what its problem is. For some reason it hates to turn on these days. I can usually convince it to do so with some shaking while holding down the power button. Not so effective in the long run, so while the warrantee is still in effect, off it goes to get tuned up. Hopefully it isn't too serious.

Happy Holidays everyone... may your days not be as crazy as mine seem to be right now.

No comments: