Saturday, July 19, 2008

The first few days on the job

I've managed to survive the first few days on my new job. It is so different from what I am used to. I miss the hustle and bustle of being out on the floor during a load in. I miss tossing heavy cables and lights and truss around. And my feet miss that you can sit to fix a light. You can't sit to serve dinner.

My coworkers are great, the rest of the crew are fun and I'm enjoying the chance to get to know them. And I am happy to be out here on the road. But this week has been a roller coaster of ups and downs and no time at all. I'm getting ready to head to bed, as I have another early morning tomorrow. But i felt the need to catch you all up on the happenings of my world.

The days are long out here, yet the hours aren't as long as they were before. Its the being on my feet for most of the time that I am working. There is no time to pull up a road case and just have a conversation for 15 minutes. I'm joking with people that I am taking up smoking just so I can get some 15 minute breaks to escape for a few minutes. I am getting the chance to do a bit of cooking though, which I am enjoying. And I'm sure I'll be quite happy when I get my paycheck.

I've not had a chance at all to explore St. Paul, which has been our first stop. We leave here on Monday, on a charted plane, for Souix City, Iowa. Hopefully that won't be the case in every city we visit. I'd like to see a bit of some of these places.

Aside of work, things have been stressful too. Dealing with missing someone more than you ever thought possible, while trying to start a new job is taxing. It is still another 20 days until our paths cross again, which seems like an eternity. We've both been dealing with our our personal stresses and challenges too. Adjusting to being in relationships, being away from each other, the ups of expecting happy visits, and the downs of them not playing out. We're still in that learning curve of how each other deals with and reacts to situations. He's learning that when I am expecting something, I get horribly disappointed when the plans get changed. And I'm learning that he takes things in and doesn't talk about what is on his mind. We've had some good moments as well as the learning ones... One day at a time, right?

And now, its time to curl up in bed and try to sleep. Its been hard to do on this trip so far. But, I guess it always is when you change into a new job and new routine. I'll try to have more interesting stories of my adventures. And maybe some pictures for you too...

3 comments:

km said...

I know how you feel with the no sitting. The only rest I got yesterday was driving to the grocery store...as least then I was sitting.
I really hope for you that your paths cross in 20 days. It's hard to be away from someone your heart connects with.

Alyssa said...

I'm sorry you can't sit hun. But I'm happy that you're enjoying yourself. The distance will be hard but if you have a strong relationship you'll be fine. I can't wait to see you in August!!!

Laura Larsen said...

Sarah we miss you. I want to learn to knit. Did I tell you that I am going to take a sewing class ( I'm a total nerd). Can't wait for you to come back to Vegas and visit. Love ya.