Monday, November 19, 2007

Deconstructed Apple Cake, and new yarn!

The food adventures of the day were numerous.

A trip to whole foods yielded new ingredients that I've never used before. Xylitol, soy cream cheese, brown rice flour and rice syrup. I sure hope that these new ingredients make tasty concoctions when subsituted for all the things I normally use.

The attempt at apple cake yielded less than stellar results. I think the carton of eggs was partly to blame, and the adjustments I made to the recipe to accomodate the lack of cream, and not wanting to use more than 3 eggs, after I had already used two full sticks of butter. So I substituted buttermilk for the cream, which shouldn't have been that major of a change. And two egg yolks didn't seem like that much to subtract when I already had three included. It took a bit longer to cook than the recipe called for but I've used so many different ovens lately, I didn't think anything of that. The real issue was when I tried to get the cake out of the pan, and only half of it unmolded onto the cooling rack. It tastes pretty good, but it looks horrid. Good thing its just for sharing with my parents. And having the kitchen disaster over with, the rest of the Thanksgiving cooking should go along smoothly.

I also picked up some new yarn today. I made a mistake on the scarf I was working on that was to be a present. Because of the pattern I'm using and knitting one below every other row, it made backing up a bit tricker than I imagined. So I dropped a couple of stitches, and the perfectionist in me can't give a gift with a mistake in it. (Ok, ok, I was trying to justify making the scarf mine.... but I swear I didn't sit on the project and knock the stitches off the needles intentially!) I made the mistake of going to the craft store, and decided that I'd add another project to my pile. Its time to attempt a cable! So, now my sister in law will get a cabled scarf in a charchol grey Chunky Shetland something or other... It just said cable me! Now I have to finish the sleve for the sweater so I can use the needle its on....

1 comment:

Code Purl said...

Too bad about the apple cake. I'm sure the next attempt will go better!