Sunday, March 22, 2009

Advice to Landlords

I've been a bit one note lately here.  I hate feeling so obsessed by this, but I feel so on hold trying to figure out how I am going to be in Chicago by Saturday.  I know that this too will pass, and that I need to hang in there (Thanks for still reading and saying that, cause just knowing that people are crossing fingers or saying prayers and sending out the positive thinking does make a difference.  And makes me smile).  

And now, in an effort to make you laugh...  some humor from the ads I've seen while searching.  

When advertising your apartments, there are some pitfalls you should avoid.  I've read through lots of ads in the past few weeks, and some have made me laugh out loud.  Some things that are mentioned in ads include:

* Unit comes with securable doors.  (If I'm renting the place, the door damn well better lock!)
* Windows stay with unit (You mean you aren't going to take them with you and leave gaping holes in the walls???)
* Vintage bathroom (Just how old does a bathroom have to be to be considered vintage?  Is it an out house?  A chamber pot?  Or just last remodeled circa 1970?)
* Don't paint anything these colors.  I don't think those colors should ever be used in any sort of decorating.  EVER.  
and in yet another, "Robin," the building manager is very helpful in your day to day activities.  Don't you just wonder what services she provides?  ;-)
 
Also, don't try to sell me the apartment that cost $1000 if I call to ask about the one that is only $800 a month.  Obviously, if I could afford $1000 I would be looking in that price range, as the difference between apartments is HUGE, and I'd go for the nicer, pricier place if I could in any way possible make it work.  Also, don't think I might want a studio that costs more than some one bedrooms I've been looking at just because its in my price range.

Ok, it just started snowing here.  We just grilled out for the first time this spring, the thermometer was reading almost 50 degrees, and then we turned around and there are huge snowflakes flying.  What is up with that?

I'm back to working on the blanket.  Its coming along quite nicely.  I'm about halfway there.  And I seem to be knitting quicker the more I knit.  And it is so much more fun than apartment searching!  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious!!!! I remember the days of hunting for apartments... and the scary things you can sometimes encounter on seeing some... good luck in the hunt,and the upcoming move! :-) Snowing in the Boston area??? how absurdly normal ;-)

Code Purl said...

HAHAHA! Couldn't see the colors as that post had been deleted but that's some funny stuff. Good luck in your apartment searching. Make sure they leave the windows in your vintage bathroom!

km said...

Finding humor is helpful when situations look bleak. It will eventually work out.

kasiaiscarly said...

it's like a jay leno 'headlines' segment :)