Thursday, January 15, 2009

BRRRRR....

According to the weather application on my phone, it is -10 degrees here in Chicago. That was 30 minutes ago. I'm sure its colder now. And doesn't take into account the windchill. I walked 10 feet outside the front door today to get to the laundry room and my damp hair froze. And I'm moving here? ACK!

I went to see my future apartment yesterday. I love it. Its got huge expanses of windows in both the living and dining rooms. Yes, it has a separate living and dining room. A nice sized bedroom that will fit my bed, dresser and maybe even some other furniture. The living room is enough to fit a couch and love seat and chair.... and desk and bookcase and tv/stand. And still have lots of space. So now I need to find Chicago-land friends, as I actually have enough space to host dinner parties! The kitchen is a bit small, but its bigger than the one in NYC and I made that work out just fine. I'm going to talk to dad about maybe building a counter top unit to put into the dining room to use as a chopping/prep area, plus storage for the appliances like the toaster and the coffee pot.

I also went to visit the future school too. I loved the facility they have... everything is new and recently remodeled. The admissions counselor was the perfect match for me too... he had formerly been on tour and he was wearing his cowboy boots too. Anyone believe in signs? Now I just have to write two essays for the application part. One about something or someone that has been an influence on me... And then a personal statement. I had no luck today on getting those accomplished. I think it was too cold to think.

I have made progress on my FLS. I have the sleeves separated off and have gotten through two repeats of the lace pattern. Its moving along quite well, and I'm really happy with it. Purling was tough to get back into a rhythm with, it felt so awkward after so much time doing the knit stitch. But the rhythm is coming back the more stitches I get done. There are a couple of mistakes in the lace pattern, but I'm hoping those won't stand out in the finished project. I think I forgot a yarn over here or there. Nothing major though.

Other lesson of the last few days... don't use preshredded cheese in homemade mac and cheese. It leaves the distinctive taste of uncooked flour behind. The boys didn't seem to mind though.

Ok, now I'm going to go find a fire to warm my toes by... ok, not really. I don't think Crash or his landlord will like me very much if I burn down the building...

3 comments:

Leah said...

It's just beyond cold here in NYC too...argh...when's spring?

Your apartment sounds great!

Alyssa said...

Ok so I drop off the radar for a bit and you move to Chicago and go back to school? You must catch me up!!!

Try to stay warm, its freezing here too.

Code Purl said...

Wow, I thought we had it bad with the cold. It was snowing hard this morning when I went into work. Well, maybe now that you're in Chicago you can meet the Panopticon. I remember he did a funny entry on his blog where he described all the layers you have to wear for a Chicago winter to prevent freezing your a** off.

Enjoy your new apt. It sounds really homey. So glad you'll have a decent sized kitchen to work in. That makes such a difference (or so I've been told!)