Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Foreseeing the future?

So, yesterday I wrote about how I was unsure about my job and whether or not it was right. I was feeling something. It wasn't right. Well, as of 5:50 pm this evening, I no longer have a job. They felt I didn't fit right. I was onto something with how I felt.

I was told that they didn't think I wanted their direction - well, I don't need someone to explain to me every step of how to print a document. I've done most of these tasks before - maybe with different programs - but I don't want to have my hand held all the time. Which seems to be a constant thing with this company. Like calling to see which mint flavor should be bought for the front desk candy bowl. And they also said I didn't take full ownership of the position. Well, its kind of hard when you exclude me from things, and assign tasks to the other assistant. I felt like the odd person out from day one. I felt that any time I voiced an opinion I was shot down. I was once even told I better check myself before I spoke. Well, in the situation, I was right - calling an medical insurance agency for your boss, and saying its you, you won't get any information. Its against the law. Now, if you lie to the operator and pretend to be the wife who is also on the plan, well, that will get you somewhere. My statement of well, they aren't allowed to tell you anything got met with an admonishment to check my facts. Not realizing that she had gotten info out of the person who answered the phone by a lie and impersonating someone else. So, yes, it was a bad fit, I wasn't happy, but now, I'm unemployed again. Good but bad.

I sent an email to Upstaging as soon as I got home. Maybe there will be a tour for me. I've been double thinking on that for the last few weeks. And I'm calling in favors... passing out resumes... offering my services. I'll come cook you dinner. I'll bake you a cake or pastry or cookies or chocolates. Anything for money these days. Anyone have any leads?

5 comments:

Leah said...

That definitely sounds for the best, although I'm sorry for the disappointment. It sounds like the job was kind of frustrating and irritating! It's good you didn't get settled into a job you really didn't like--you know how that can happen (at least it's happened to me) when the inertia sets in. The longer you're at a place, the harder it is to leave.

And it's spring! Spring in NYC is so lovely.

kasiaiscarly said...

the lack of cash flow stinks, but working in a job you don't like stinks worse, so fingers crossed you find something better ASAP!

km said...

I remember when I got laid off from my first job out of college. They let 3 of us go because they couldn't make payroll. But, I ended up as such a better place. I LOVED the new job, and I had been dreading the old one for awhile. Our friends own a lighting business. http://www.shinelighting.com/
Check this out. It seems to be lighting without all the shows you did before. And if you were at weddings and such, then that might cross over into food? Just a thought. I had never looked through their website before today. I looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about your job. Working in a job that you dislike, or that you feel untrusted in stinks.. I know the right thing will come along for you soon! Hang in there..

Code Purl said...

Sorry you lost your job. My friend with the job crisis finally resigned and is looking to move elsewhere although I've been trying to convince her to stay in NY. It's hard to keep going at job that you really dislike just because you're already in it.