Wednesday, April 2, 2008

One skein down

I've got one skein of yarn knitted into the sweater. And I still have my ribbed pattern going right. Ok, say a little prayer I didn't just jinx myself there.

I went to see the Knitting Harlot speak this evening. (there is a picture to insert here, but I'm too lazy to find the cable right now) It was ridiculously crowded, and we had to sit on the floor at Borders, cause there were no seats left in the place. But she was very funny, and had such insightful views on how knitters relate to the world and how the world relates to knitters. And I got more of my sweater done, had a good time with a friend, and have a few more books to add to my wish list.

I've been thinking a lot about second jobs lately. As I added up my credit card bills and almost fainted. Definitely choked. I want to find something that still allows me to have my social life. I want to find a place to live first though, so I can figure out commuting time and determine a radius to take on a waitressing or retail job - if that is the way to go. I'd love to find something that I could do from home at the end of the night so I can schedule it around my life, not schedule my life around it. Especially now that I have a social life again.

Now for the final bits of Top Chef and sleep. I was out way too late last night - even got stuck on the train while the police boarded cars to clear up some sort of altercation. It was a fun night of wine and bonding - very low key, and relaxing - but I need to catch up on some sleep.

4 comments:

km said...

You're so lucky to see Stephanie (Yarn Harlot). When she was in LA it was a sold out crowd in downtown. I can't wait to see the sweater.

Code Purl said...

I couldn't bear the crowds but sounds like an interesting night.

Alyssa said...

I had so much fun last night. The line took forever and I think I finally got out of there around 9 something. By the time I met Carl at the bar I was exhausted and didn't really feel like explaining to the boys what I had been doing for the last several hours. I fell asleep reading her new book last night so I had little knitterly things in my head as a slept.

We should hang out more often and we should get little me Jen to hang out too!

Oh and my brother lives in Inwood (Sp?) and is back on the market...I could set you up???

Leah said...

That sounds so fun. It's nice to be able to avail yourself of all the cool things to do here in NYC, so it makes sense that you'd want to make sure to have time for social stuff. That's a really good, well-balanced way to look at life!

About the credit card bills--ech, I have so much sympathy! And retail's not so bad as a second gig--I did quite a bit of "shop girl" in the past--and here's a secret: I think I enjoyed it more than my "career" job! Oops, don't tell anyone...