Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bags and apartments...

First the bags...


My large green one, and the smaller one for a gift. I'm going to fill it with fun things like candy and the such. But I love the way the smaller one felted up. I've been carrying the green one back and forth to work the past few days. Its a great weekend bag, but I'm not sure I'm loving it for work just yet.

Second, a report on the apartment. It was ok. Not right though. It had no common living space. Which made it feel really small and like we'd be always stuck in our bedrooms. Which could get claustrophobic quite quickly. The sink was really short in the bathroom - I felt like a giant next to it. And the renovations that they claimed to have done hadn't really been done, as there were large X's on several walls and the word remove. My bed never would have fit up the staircase. And the building reeked of pot - not in the apartments themselves, but all the stairwells. Alas, I think we'll have to expand the search to the boros. Which was what I was hoping to not do. I came here to live in Manhattan. But, its just too much to afford with so much debt. And with the space we'd like to have. The ability to have a couch - so we can have our out of town friends have a place to crash. And the ability to have enough space to throw a dinner party, if we wanted. So, we'll see. I've got some craigslist postings to call on tomorrow.

I finished my night with an attempt at toffee. But it came out more a cross between toffee and caramel. Still tasty, but not quite the right texture. I'm torn, as it was supposed to be part of a gift and I'm sure its of shareable quality. We'll taste it again in the morning. Oh, and I cast on my sweater... so I'd have something to do at knitting tomorrow. I'm not sure I like the smaller needles. Or perhaps its the smaller needles and yarn combo. We'll see. I'm looking forward to my sweater.

Now if only the bloating I'm experiencing would go away.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

here's a link to my boyfriend's real estate information http://www.prudentialelliman.com/mainsite/agents/agents.aspx?BID=CAE

He does sales but he has a lot of connections in rental. Give him a try before you head out of Manhattan.

My dinner was cancelled tonight so I can come to knitting group (though meetup isn't working so I can't change my RSVP) Hope to see you there!

OH I absolutely love the bags. You may need to send me that pattern as well.

Code Purl said...

Bags look great! Sorry to hear the apt was a dump but it was only the first one. I'd say you prob have to look at at least 5 and could be as many as a dozen or more to find the right one depending on how picky you are and how tight your budget is.

See you tonight.

Leah said...

I do love those bags. I still haven't tried felting anything, but I'd love to.

Ah, apartment hunting. My husband and I have done it several times in NYC. We had a dog, which made it much more difficult. Anyway, I agree that you shouldn't give up on Manhattan yet if that's where you'd really like to live. Maybe you can just get a little creative about what neighborhood in Manhattan...it's funny, I always dreamed of moving back to Brooklyn, but of course that's where I'm from! Parts of Brooklyn can be charming, though. Our nabe, Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens is gorgeous and really close to Manhattan by subway. Our house is close to Borough Hall--literally all the subway lines.

Isn't Purl Soho fabulous? I try not to go there too often because it's so luxe and tempting...really budget-busting, but good for a girl's soul!