Friday, March 28, 2008

My first trip to Brooklyn

Obviously, I did not chose wisely for my first trip to Brooklyn. We got off the subway and promptly got back on the subway. The area was not one we'd ever want to be after dark. I'm now avoiding the J/M line on the subway. It was not my kind of neighborhood over there.

I did find a fabulous place. Great square footage, great price, good location, I think, but they wanted a 12% brokers fee. Which is more than 2 months rent. For opening a door and letting me look inside? Thats a ridiculous sum of money. Perhaps if the broker did some leg work for me, found the place, etc. But when I do all the research and you just show up to let me see the place? No thanks.

So, week one of searching wasn't all that. Wonder what week two will hold?

And now a touch of Boston at night... Cause this need a picture, and well, its a great one. Got to love balconies on high level floors.

4 comments:

Code Purl said...

I had that same experience when I went to attend a nutrition lecture at a place out in Brooklyn. When I stepped off the subway I immediately felt uncomfortable. But since the lecture was in the morning and I knew would be over by early afternoon I managed to keep my cool and took a bus then walked a few blocks to the hospital. Everything was fine in the end but I was really worried about what I could have gotten myself into. Later on I saw a job posting for a dietitian at that same hospital and was like, no way! I've seen the same position being advertised for an entire year. I guess no one wants to go all the way out there!

km said...

I can't blame you for being uncomfortable. I live in a "safe" neighborhood and here I'm still careful.

Love the Boston photo. We took our honeymoon there and almost stayed.

Alyssa said...

And that's why I don't go to Brooklyn!

Leah said...

It's true about some parts of Brooklyn...all too true. You might want to check out Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, though. I think the prices are more reasonable than Brooklyn Heights (let's be honest, I live there only because I was "grandfathered" in) but it's still near good stuff and trains. Also, Forest Hills in Queens is nice, safe, and on the express subway line to midtown. It's also a real neighborhood in its own right--with good restaurants and a Barnes and Noble (always a plus for me). I hate those 12% fees. Are they insane?

I love the photo of Boston; it's so beautiful.