Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Spring Fashions

(First off, thanks to everyone that stopped by and offered congratulations. Thank you for all your well wishes, and prayers to get me to this point. I look forward to entertaining you with my tales of a working girl (no, not that kind) in NYC!)

Now that I have a new job, I need a new wardrobe. I spent the last three years of my life in black clothes (as a stagehand in Vegas it was required. I also carried a wrench and knife on my belt at all times - so not the fashionable me. I got told once I didn't have to dress up to go out because I put on heels with a pair of jeans.) or in shorts and Old Navy tanks (where when I had on a short jean skirt and flip flops I got asked why I was all spiffed up). Needless to say, I don't have much in terms of business or business casual wear.

So, off I went to Macy's today. 7 floors and an entire city block of department store. You'd think I'd have come home with plenty of clothes. But I left empty handed. I did really like a few handbags. But I think I need more than a handbag to show up at work. Spring fashions are very strange. There was pink - cotton candy pink, bubble gum pink, pale pink, hot pink... I am so NOT a pink person. And they mixed it with navy, which is about the only neutral that i just don't like. Then there are the yellows and greens which seem very popular. I'm ok with them as accent pieces. I tried on one dress that I felt like I should be heading to Woodstock in - except that it was silk... but the pattern was very flower child. And so many of the shirts today make me look pregnant- not a look I'm going for. And then come the issue of a trend towards what retailers are calling vanity sizing. American women are so concerned with the number on the tag, that they had added inches to each size. This might be great for the person who was a size 10 and can now wear an 8. She can feel great about herself. But for me, it doesn't work out so well. I wore a 4, and lost a bit of weight due to stress, and now I'm lucky if an XS or a 0 fits me. Anything bigger and I look like I borrowed someone else's shirt. And there is nothing smaller than that. I actually have a blouse that I bought in the fall that is a 00P. Yes, you read that right. A double zero petite.

I'm hoping to have a bit more luck tomorrow. In addition to the issues with sizes, I'm just not a big fan of a lot of what designers are doing right now. Or I'm a fan of the clothes, but not the prices of them.

4 comments:

Maria said...

It does suck sometimes to buy clothes in NYC. In fact, Macy's used to be MUCH worse - I call it the "cheap" phase, where the clothes just really sucked and were of poor quality. According to my mom (who used to go to Macy's every Wednesday for the sales religiously in the '80s and dragged me along for the ride) it's getting better. I have to check for myself, as I might need some new clothes if I get a new job when I get back to the States, lol.

Good luck!

(Oh, if you are also in the need for just some basics regardless for work or outside of work, head down to SoHo and check out Uniqlo - it's like the Japanese version of the Gap. I got totally addicted to it here, great for tshirts and other basics, and am so happy that it's downtown!).

kasiaiscarly said...

OMG! TOTALLY agree with the vanity sizing nonsense. EVERYTHING is too big on my anymore, unless I go to the super expensive designers who still use 'real' sizes (where I am a size 6!). It's crazy, especially when I look at myself and say 'I'm small, but there are a lot of people even smaller than me'. Where the heck to they get clothes? Did I mention this is why I started to learn to sew? :)

Anonymous said...

I"m so there you with the clothes sizing, though my recent stress had me GAINING weight.. I'm a SAHM so my sweats are fine for now, but if I were to go back to work, then, I'd have to go up a size... and being petite it's so hard to find stuff that is fashionable and fits right... I wish you luck in your wardrobe dilemma! You'll find something... :-)

km said...

I'm sure that it's hard being still winter, yet all the spring clothes are already in the stores. Navy is what they do every spring. And usually with shades of pink, red, yellow, or green. If you're not a "spring" person. Then you probably usually buy most of your clothes in your season. Someone who loves brown...will find a lot that they love in the fall. So, try the 75% off for other basics. Black, Brown, and Charcoal are hard to find in Spring. My mom grew up in SanFrancisco and sortof designed clothes before having kids...her information has always held true. I'm thankful for all that she's taught me. Being in L.A., there are lots of boutiques that sell clothes that have only been worn once...by those who only wear each item once. You probably can find a boutique in NYC like that.