Thursday, January 31, 2008

The inconvenience of leaks

I woke up to the sounds of a sawsall this morning. Not the most pleasant alarm clock to say the least.

The saw was shortly followed by a dripping sound. And it sounded like it was coming from not that far away. It wasn't. It was coming from the wall of the bedroom here. I slid out the pocket door to find ribbons of water running down it. Um... thats not right. And the dripping was getting stronger. So I send a quick email to the building manager. And start searching for a phone number. But, why would anyone be there to answer the phone? By this point, there is water running down the wall in the bedroom, and starting to separate the paint from the wall. I get ahold of D, who happens to be in the middle of the load in, and at this point, the water is squiring out of the wall, so I'm freaking out a bit. Turns out the guy with the saw upstairs didn't quite know what he was doing, and cut through the hot water pipe. Seriously? Shouldn't you know where the pipes are and how to avoid them when you are using a saw before you start using said saw on a wall?

So, the ceiling looks like this now....

Guess I'll have to get the paint back out...

And perhaps I'll have a shower that give me hot water all the time by the end of the afternoon, as the plumber, that we've been trying to get in here since umm... September, has finally shown up. Alas I did have to turn down work because it. I could have been at a popular TV music channel for the afternoon making some money. I hate having to keep turning down this company, cause I could need them next week if the second interview doesn't work as well as the first.

Its a boring day of home repairs and issues it seems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is such a classic NYC apartment story...I cannot believe, but yet somehow I can, that the guy just flat out sawed through the hot water pipe. It must be a new level of incompetence!

--Swappy