Thursday, January 17, 2008

The power of suggestion

I've been reading through various blogs by participants in the Hot Cocoa Swap this evening, and the power of suggestion must be there. I'm back with my cup of cocoa.

I've started on two new projects in the last 24 hours. The blah beating gift for my swap partner is on its way. So far, I think its going to come out really cute. I'm not going to post pictures of it til post swap though, as I think my partner is one of the few that has this as her favorite animal, and I'd hate to ruin the surprise. I love to give surprises to people. Or at least surprises in the sense of perfectly selected gifts. I also restarted my mothers scarf after she choose a new pattern. I'm hoping it will be a quick, easy knit as she choose a simple weave pattern - k5, p5, k5, p5 turn, p5, k5, p5, k5, turn... I know this pattern has a technical name, but it escapes me. The goal is to have the swap gift done in the next week or so, as it requires felting. And I doubt the ability of the laundromat to aide me in that.

I have a moving company going to my old house in Vegas in less than a week to give me a written estimate on getting my stuff out here. This excites me. For the verbal quote is completely in the range that I need it to be in. Hopefully the schedule will work out and the written estimate will fall close to the verbal one, and I can be one step closer to be fully moved.

My day was not without its stresses though. I got a call from the one room agency, with offers of a job interview. GREAT, right? But not so much. I feel like the job counselor isn't listening to what I'm looking for in a position. Its a receptionist position, that isn't looking to pay what I'm looking to earn. I'm not ruling it out, cause I do need to have an income, especially where I want to pay some rent to D, but I put him off on the interview til the end of next week, with hopes that something more lucrative might come through for me. And I don't want to come off sounding like a snob, but with my education, and the fact that I grow easily bored unless constantly challenged, I'd like something a bit higher level than phones and greeting clients or signing for packages. I feel like the counselor only looked at me and saw a pretty face and a girl who could string two sentences together. And didn't bother to listen to the qualities I was looking for in a job. With my funds rapidly dwindling, I don't want to jinx myself by being too close-minded, but I also don't want to land somewhere that doesn't work for me either. Part of me feels stuck in this horrid rut - I spin my wheels with the job search and don't seem to get anywhere. And that part of me doesn't want to make a decision that just makes that rut deeper and harder to get out of. I'm ready for my cycle to start a more upward climb and have some real good luck.

There were also personal life stresses that have me worn down... the recovery process from relationships is tough, and despite knowing what I know, and feeling the way I feel, hearing certain things still have a sting to them. Mostly cause I didn't get to think or say them first.

Time to get back to the knitting... this knitting in the round is going to drive me a bit batty, as its only my second attempt at this technique.

No comments: